As a child, I usually stayed up as late as my mom, to my dad’s dismay. Once the clock stroke 12, I would usually complain that I was hungry. As soon as he heard that, my dad would walk into the kitchen and 15 minutes later, voila, whipped together some type of simple but savory soup. The recipe presented here is one of them. The earthiness of the mushroom complemented the sweetness of the pork well. It is a light and fulfilling dish, ideal for a late supper or midnight craving.
- 5-6 fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced*
- 1 small piece of pork loin, sliced#
- 1 stalk of green onion, biased cut
- 1 bundle of Chinese vermicelli (bean threads)
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- potato or corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
7. Season the dish to taste. Let the broth boil for another 30 seconds and remove from heat.
8. You should have the dish immediately after to prevent total absorption of water by the noodle.