Couple weeks ago I saw an Apricot Strudel recipe in my daily Küchengötter newsletter and I was tempted to try it out. My baker other-half shook his head and said, “in order for you to make a strudel, you will have to make sweet bread first.” I figure, what is so special about sweet bread? Well, I have seen it today.
I am not a big fan of sweet bread; bread supposed to be savory and not sweet in my perception. This recipe turns out decent. It has a faint and not overpowering sweetness. It reminds me of a brioche, so if that fits your flavor profile, it is a wonderfully fluffy and rich bread.
Portuguese Sweet Bread
- 2 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1/4 C warm water
- 6 C flour
- 1tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 C warm milk
- 6 Tsp melted butter
- 1 C sugar
- Combine yeast and water with a pinch of sugar. Set aside to let yeast dissolve. (Since the recipe asks for 2 Tbsp of yeast, it will not completely dissolve in 1/4 C of water.)
- While the yeast is dissolving, measure out all the dry ingredients and combine them together. Set it aside.
- Beat 4 eggs and set it aside.
- Combine warm milk, sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl.
- Add eggs and mixture from step 4 into the yeast mixture.
- Slowly add in flour, a little bit at a time.
|Step 5-6: Combining all liquid and some flour together|
7. When the dough somewhat forms (will still be very sticky!), place it on a floured surface and knead in the rest of the flour.
|After adding about four-cup of flour in, still sticky!|
8. When the dough becomes tacky and smooth, but not sticky, then it is ready for proofing.
|Finally a dough! Right before first resting|
|After first proofing. Still tacky, but not sticky|
9. The dough should become double in size after resting. Shape the dough into desired form and let it rest again.
10. Preheat the over to 350˚F (approximately 180˚C). Beat one egg and wash loaves or rolls generously with it.
|Washing the loaves with egg|
11. For the loaf, bake it for 10 minutes or until it becomes golden. Rolls will take about 5-7 minutes, or until it browns.
|Sweet bread loaf|
|Sweet rolls baking in the oven|
|Sweet bread rolls|